Thursday, 29 January 2009

Student Portraits


Who? Sam of Daily Fashion Boost

Where do you study?
I study Fashion and clothing at the ROC in Hilversum. ROC is actually more like a college, with a lot of different courses going on in one building, it isn’t a university.

Where are you from? Have you travelled far to study? If yes, what made you choose to do so? If not, why not? My parents are divorced, so I live in two places; Bussum and Amersfoort. When I have to go to school, I’m always in Amersfoort. My mother lives there and she’s almost always at home, so I won’t be alone when I get in from school. I have to travel for about an hour because I go by train. First I get the train to Hilversum station and then I have to go to another platform for my other train that will stop in front of my school. It’s a bit of a shame that I have to travel for an hour, but that’s the only fashion education in the neighbourhood, otherwise I’d have to go all the way to Amsterdam and that would take about 2 hours!

What made you choose the path of higher education? It has always made sense to me. My parents always said that I should study further after high school, and I didn’t want to start work at 15! You have 3 levels at high school; Vmbo-t (that takes 4 years), Havo (that takes 5 years) and Vwo (that takes 6 years). I did Vmbo-t. It’s actually the lowest qua level of the three, but the highest of the Vmbo level. I chose to do that because I’m not the kind of girl who wants to have her nose in books constantly; I want to do something practical like making clothes. I couldn’t wait to study further in the direction I really wanted!

What do you love most about the course you study?
I love that you can be creative and don’t have to learn constantly. Well, you’ll be learning of course, but not a lot out of books. You can draw and you have to make collages. I really love to sit behind the sewing machine and to make clothes. At the moment I’m in the second year of my education and at the end of this year I’ll have to choose a direction. I’m not sure which direction I want to go in, but I do want to sit behind the sewing machine a lot.

What do you love most about the place where you study?
I’m actually not such a fan of Hilversum. Everything looks very depressing and everything is very grey, it isn’t a beautiful city or something. What I do love about Hilversum is the old street where my dad used to live when I was only 6 years old. The funny thing is that it’s in the same street where my school is! Too bad my dad doesn’t live there anymore.

What would you change about your higher education experience?
The chaos! Definitely. Almost every time you finish the design of a dress, for example, and you show it to your teacher - something is wrong about it. That’s because our teachers almost always forget to say what the requirements are. It’s getting a bit frustrating so we have to be very careful with what we design. Sometimes the teachers even forget to bring the stuff they need for the lesson.

What are your main interests outside studying? Do they tie in with your future career? I love photography, which I’ve been doing for about 7 months. It began when I started my blog. I started to make photos of city’s, like: Amsterdam, Utrecht, Naarden, Bussum and Amersfoort, and when I went on holiday I started to photograph things I liked or thought were beautiful in Italy and New York. I’m also really interested in antique furniture; I love old things! They have a story to tell, just like photos. I recently got an antique table from my mom, I was so thankful! I love this table so much. It’s actually a bit weird that I can love something like that so much. I think I got that trait from my dad.

What are your aspirations after your course? I want to study further, possibly in journalism or photography - I would love to do that. I’m glad if I can be creative. After that, I might open my own clothing store; or take fashion photos for a magazine I like; or write for a newspaper. There are so many things I want to do.

Do you have any favourite student websites or blogs? There are some fashion bloggers who are studying and who’s personal style I just love. I really like: Strawberry Kitten; The clothes horse; Thumbelina and Fashion Fillers.

What would your three top tips be for a fabulous lifestyle on a student budget?
Oh dear, this is a hard one..

1. Try to save money for things you really want to do or have, instead of impulsive buys.

2. Try to buy as many things as possible that are a cut-price in the supermarket. Don’t buy things you don’t need or just like to buy.

3. Try to save energy if you pay bills; don’t let the light burn at night and don’t let the water run when you’re brushing your teeth. The little things can save you money.

Thanks Sam! Everybody go take a look at Daily Fashion Boost today!







Like what you've found here at Charade? Then please
subscribe , follow me on bloglovin' or bookmark me easily by clicking one of the options in the drop-down menu below. Your support is very much appreciated



1 comment:

Chéryn said...

omg i'm a fan of hers on lookbook
imagine how surprised i was to see a photo of her here!

love her style

Post a Comment