Thursday, 26 March 2009

J’adore... Vintage Luggage

The style, the glamour, the shabby chic storage potential! Yes, I currently have an unhealthy obsession with vintage suitcases. Although I haven’t yet allowed myself to purchase one because the budgeter in me is screaming ‘frivolous!’ I feel I will, at some point, have to succumb. The set of three above are available on ebay for a currently bargain price but, unfortunately, I don't have the space for them.

I let this little beaut slip through my fingers on etsy recently because the shipping from the US was killer. I hope it makes whoever did buy it as joyous as it would have made me.


You have to agree, they’re totally multipurpose, you could stuff them with just about anything. This next one, currently on ebay, would be perfect for a little dream I have of one day owning a vintage shop with several display suitcases spilling out vintage scarves in every imaginable colour.


Round suitcases also fulfill a particular fantasy; I think they're pretty much the epitome of style. Although they don't appear to be the most practical of items, they would make great little vanity cases / weekend bags. This one's on etsy right now, but I'm holding out for one in beige or powder pink...



These spanky new suitcases from SteamLine Luggage are also on my radar... But at £384 for the set, they will certainly have to remain a distant dream for the time being. Sigh.


Are you a vintage luggage nut? Stand up and be counted!







Like what you've found here at Charade? Then please
subscribe , follow me on bloglovin' or bookmark me easily by clicking one of the options in the menu below. Your support is very much appreciated

14 comments:

Mrs. Priss said...

I am SO with you on this! I love old luggage.

My younger brother happened to go yard saling on a whim, and came back with two vintage suitcases he paid about $5 for. I asked him for them and he said no because he was using it to store all his Xbox games. UGH!

Emily said...

Now that I've read this post, yes, I am in total agreement with you. My favorite little shop in Edinburgh -- Godiva -- had a couple suitcases holding odds 'n ends, I believe... and my favorite shop here, in Wooster, OH, USA, has realized that dream of yours (and what a wonderful dream!).

Harriet said...

*insert sigh of adoration here* those are just so pretty!

I was *ahem* browsing some local vintage shops today and one had some beautiful old circular cases and makeup bags like the blue one you've posted - very Jackie O, but alas like you they're a bit too frivolous and space consuming for me to justify right now :(

Claire said...

These are beautiful!! The size of them makes me concerned (I'm nervous when it comes to buying large things, partly because I always seem to be moving about and my internal voice keeps saying "Don't get things which are too bulky which will be tough to pack!") but so so lovely!!!

Leia said...

I love vintage luggage, too! I really want a hatbox-shaped cosmetics case or something, but am a bit nervous about getting one.

Sherin said...

Oh, they're all so gorgeous. I've always had an obssession with vintage luggage, and always thought that it was just me. Glad to see that there are more of you.

A girl in the world said...

Ooooh adorable!!!

Lilpixie said...

Those suitcases are amazing!

beverley said...

that is so gorgeous! :)

Anonymous said...

Remember that heart shaped barbie suitcase with the silver clasp we used to have? I'll always remember you at about aged 3 convinced your were 'running away' yet just sitting on the sofa with that case 'waiting for a taxi.' that had never been called...

Big sis xx

Kirsty said...

I know what you mean, I love the rugged look of a vintage suitcase and in creams they look even more lovely!
x

aestheticthoughts said...

I love vintage luggage!

canaanstwin said...

I am in dire need of your expertise! I have no luggage and will be spending the summer in Paris. I want luggage like you see in the old fashioned movies, like the rolling trunks and rolling hat boxes but have no idea where to find these...no luck on ebags. Can you help me?
xoxo - Riley

http://www.blogginginburberry.blogspot.com

Megan said...

Riley - I can only suggest a good search on etsy.com! I've been looking for a hat box suitcase for the LONGEST time... and still no joy :(

Post a Comment