Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Important Reasons Why You Should Be Drinking More Water

Image thanks to lepiaf.geo

I found these points typed on a small piece of paper in my mum's bureau. I'm not sure how factual they are or who wrote them, she says she got them from an old slimming group meeting. Nevertheless, they shocked me into action when it comes to drinking more water.

  • 75% of people are chronically dehydrated.
  • The thirst mechanism is so weak it is often mistaken for hunger.
  • Even mild dehydration will slow down the metabolism by 3%.
  • One glass of water can stop night hunger pangs.
  • Lack of water is the main cause of daytime fatigue.
  • 8-10 glasses of water a day can ease back and joint pain.
  • Dehydration can affect memory and concentration.
  • 5 glasses of water a day decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, breast cancer by 79% and bladder cancer by 50%.

Just some of the many reasons you should be drinking more water. Go have a glass now!

10 comments:

Christina Crowe said...

Great post! I agree. Water is needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I wrote a post, Water Is Life Changing, describing the health benefits of water. Water can even help you lose weight!
http://www.saladsticks.com/2009/07/water-is-life-changing.html

Thanks for the great read!

sherin said...

Wow. I had NO idea about most of these. I drink an ok amount of water a day, but these points are enough to encourage anyone to drink more water.

Jennifer said...

I definitly don't drink enough water and am probably in the 75% of people who are chronically dehydrated. I really need to convince myself to drink it more.

scarcelylegal.blogspot.com

elleandish said...

I feel terrible about my water drinking habits now. Gotta change things up! :D

Anonymous said...

I don't know if these facts are so true...

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Anonymous said...

They are a good source of motivation to drink more water, nevertheless! :)

Marie said...

I would never drink 8 - 10 glasses of water a day, otherwise I'd never be out the bathroom.

Voila Megan said...

Christina - Thanks for sharing your article!

Anon - Oooh, thanks for sharing that! Guess this advice is to be followed with caution. Personally, I know that drinking around 8 glasses of water feels good for me, but I can see that for some it might feel excessive. Just to be aware of and happy with your intake is the most important factor.

Marie - I go by the rule that if my pee is clear, I've had enough water!

Eternal*Voyageur @ Venusian*Glow said...

Some need more than 8 glasses, some less.
Here is a nice way of finnding out how much YOU need:

maya moumne said...

wow this really helps thanks alot

Post a Comment