Tuesday, 6 October 2009

Charade: The Annual 2008/09

Image thanks to Fayez

If you’ve been following me on Twitter, you might have heard me mention a ‘top secret project.’ You may also remember that I ran a little survey a while back on the blog... Well, it’s a project I’ve been planning all summer, and it’s wonderful and exciting and nerve-racking all at once.

People, I am releasing an annual!

That’s right. I thought about doing an ebook, and that’s still on the cards for the future, but I wanted to offer something new, something different, something no one else (that I know of) is doing in the blogosphere, that you can enjoy and share for years to come. I thought a real life book would do the trick.

Over the first 365 days (jee-whizz!) of Charade, I have written many, many articles, some on the subject of money, many on fashion, a good few on self-improvement, and more. Although I’m looking ahead to the coming year, poised at my word processor, ready to bust out a whole heap more articles, tips and tricks to help you be fabulous, I thought I’d like to produce something that honoured my existing efforts into one solid body - the creamiest, best bits of Charade.

What’s in the Annual?
  • My pick of the best articles on Charade over the past year including: The Dream Style Series, The Ultimate Geek’s Guide to Fashion Budgeting, Planning and Having Your Best Year Ever, Making Your Dreams Come True: A Sure-Fire Strategy and lots more!
  • The entire first year’s ‘Words to Live By’ quotes, dotted chronologically through the book for easy reference.
  • Beautiful images from my favourite Flickr people, many never used on the site.
  • A comprehensive list of the best blogs and websites I’ve found around the web this year.
  • A two thousand word bonus feature article, never to be published on the site: How to Cultivate Individual Style which I know you’ll love.

How much is it?

The annual is going to be available for £15.00 + P&P. Now, I know some of you will feel this is outside of your budget right now, and I empathize, but this is honestly the cheapest I could do it without compromising on quality – full colour, professionally printed books do not come cheap. Think of the price as equal to a year’s subscription to your favourite magazine, only it’s a year’s worth of Charade beautifully bound for life.

I can honestly tell you that this is no big money spinner for me, so please don’t feel that I’ve gone commercial crazy. I genuinely wanted to offer you something more concrete, lasting and special than the blog alone; a gorgeous reference to all that you love about the Charade concept, plus some added extras. I also feel it’s a way of proudly creating something tangible out of my work on the site. I hope you understand.

Anything else I should know?

Every edition of the annual will be sent out to you first class, lovingly packaged, with optional signing on the inside title page. I’ve also got two special introductory offers:

  • The first 10 sold will receive a surprise free gift to say an extra thank you for your purchase and support!
  • The first 20 buyers will also have their details saved so that they can receive next year’s edition for a winning 50% off.

Design is still underway, so the current official release date of the annual is at the moment unsure. However, I can tell you there will be a limited amount of just 50 copies of this first edition, and for that reason I’d like to give the die-hard Charade devotees an opportunity to beat the crowd - so if you’d like to be sure of receiving your annual, now is the time to make it known!




Once you’ve been added to the priority list, not only will I keep in personal contact to let you know how the annual is progressing, you’ll also be able to make an advanced purchase of the annual one whole week before everybody else! (Meaning you’re far more likely to take advantage of the above introductory offers!)

Please let me know all your thoughts/queries/general ramblings about this exciting Charade venture. It’s all new to me, so any feedback from you guys will be wonderful and I'm to answer all questions. Watch this space!

12 comments:

Fiona said...

Wow, Megan, that's a great idea! I prefer having somthing in my bookcase too.

Voila Megan said...

Aw, Fiona! I'm so glad you think so. I'm a little nervous of what the general reaction will be so thanks for your cheerful comment ♥

Amelia M said...

Megan,

What an exciting, ambitious adventure! Personally, though I adore blogs, I just love the experience of reading a book - something tangible to keep forever, as opposed to the disposable (and virtual) nature of a blog. I am sure this will open many more doors for you - doing something bold and brave like this is always rewarding. Best of luck, and I can't wait to see the finished product!

Marie said...

I'm really excited for this - I never really went back through the archives here, but this will be the best and easiest way to do it!

Sherin said...

Wow. This must be so exciting for you! I've been a fan of your blog for a while now and love all its contents. I have thought about writing down all your 'words to live by' quotes for myself, so I'm glad to have the chance to get them on paper for me.

Voila Megan said...

Amelia - Oh, oh, oh! I'm actually giddy from getting such a great response. I couldn't agree more about having something tangible rather than virtual - my good ideas tend to stem from something I'd like myself, and book-versions of my top blogs are definately something I'd like to see.

Marie - The process of trawling through blog archives really annoys me - even if I love the site - whereas flicking through a book is such a pleasure. Making all my writing more accessible is a big aim of mine. Thanks for the comment :)

Sherin - You are a doll! Yes, I am excited but also quite literally terrified, especially since I've not got the final product yet - too many things could go wrong!

Jenny said...

That's awesome. Your blog is my favourite out of all the ones I follow... I love how you include so many different topics, yet all the articles are so helpful. Shall be looking forward to this! =)

Sara said...

Wow Megan, I'm so excited for you! This is a brilliant idea and I will definitely be snapping up a copy, and maybe a few more as gifts! I personally think £15 is a really fair price for somethng so lovely :)

Jenna said...

This is such a great Idea!

i don't know if this would be reasonable or too difficult but perhaps you could offer a few pages of advertising to cut costs? will the book be available for your US readers? (I'm worried that overseas shipping might put this out of my budget)

-J

Voila Megan said...

Jenny - Yay! So, so grateful and flattered - it's honestly people like you who are the reason I haven't given up on these crazy blogging shennanigans!

Sara - To buy one for yourself would be compliment enough, but to consider buying them as gifts!! Gosh, you girls are too much sweetness for me. And thanks for your comment on the price, it was my biggest worry.

Jenna - Um... you're a genius. That's SUCH a good idea! Even if it was just one page at the back it could really help with printing costs. The Annual will absolutely be available to you US lovelies - I will find a way!

♥ ♥ (two hearts because I love you extra today)

Ella said...

I'd love to get a copy, your articles are so well written. Unfortunately the pound to rand exchange rate as well shipping and taxes make it a very expensive venture for me :(

LauraCassidy said...

Great idea! I used to love annuals when I was younger. Can't wait to order my copy.

Post a Comment