Friday, 15 January 2010

Be Thankful


Image thanks to hryck

“Gratefulness is the key to a happy life that we hold in our hands, because if we are not grateful, then no matter how much we have we will not be happy – because we will always want to have something else or something more.”
David Steindl-Rast

With all our pushing to be stronger and faster and better and fitter and thinner and quicker and prettier... (phew-ee!) it can often slip our minds to stop, and simply say thanks for what the world has, already, richly provided us with.

When you feel grateful then you feel, by default, prosperous, happy and comforted in the knowledge that you live a life worth being thankful for. You are focused upon the treasures you already possess, rather than the empty sensation of the things you don’t. If you feel lucky, blessed and contented with what you already have, this becomes a pattern for you; it shines out; you attract good things and you go on to be increasingly lucky, blessed and contented.

Everything you already have: your home, your family, your friends, your lover, your health, your education, your material comforts – they are all precious gifts that you would probably be lost without. Cherish these things, say thank you for them every day.

Working to be better and have better, like we are doing with M.Y.L.A, does not mean disregarding or taking for granted the wonderful things already abundantly present in our lives; quite the contrary, being thankful enhances our efforts. Take this opportunity to pause in your self-development journey, and thank the heavens for the glorious existence that is already flourishing around you.

Summary:

♥Working for better often means we forget to appreciate where we are now
♥When you feel grateful, you are concentrated on the best things in your life, you feel positive, and therefore you attract more blessings
♥Take a moment to consider all that you already have, and be thankful

Homework:

♥ Say thanks.

Today, I want you to take your eyes off of the future for just a moment, and get captivated by the present; I want you to say thank you for the things you already possess. In your journal, write a letter of thanks to the universe for everything it has already given you. See my example, which I typed today for clarity!

Dear Universe,

Thanks for letting me live in this world, it’s great. Thanks for giving me a strong, beautiful and healthy body which performs wonders for me on a regular basis. Thanks for giving me a mind that can think- up wild, ambitious dreams. Thanks for giving me five whole senses so that I can experience my existence so fully and deeply. Thanks for my loving, supportive, hilarious and generous family. Thanks for my talents – the subtle and the down-right epic. Thank you for George, he is my best friend and he helps to make me feel valued and cared for. Thanks for opportunities, and chance encounters. Thanks for teaching me lessons everyday and putting both wonderful and challenging things in my path. Thank you for the sun and the moon and the land and the sea and all the other wonders of nature – and making it so that I am able to appreciate them all the time.

Really, just thanks for everything.
Megan.

Let this letter serve as a reminder of how lucky you are; a foundational platform upon which you can build more joy, blessings, good luck, prosperity, love and wonder.

4 comments:

Molly said...

I think this is the best post out of the series. So many people are unhappy because they want too much and aren't happy with what they already have.

Jodi said...

i love the homework assignment for this one :) its wonderful

Eternal*Voyageur @ Venusian*Glow said...

I really feel good after doing this. Thank you, Megan !

Aury said...

Megan darling I put your myla banner on my blog and linked you in my seeking inspiration post for the week cos I feel like what you're doing could help soo many people and should be shared with everyone. Keep up the great job!
Also this was a great exercise :)
xoxo

Post a Comment