Monday, 4 January 2010

How to Get a Successful Mindset


Image thanks to scarleth white

“Success is a state of mind. If you want success, start thinking of yourself as a success.” 
Dr. Joyce Brothers

So far in the M.Y.L.A journey, we have become more aware of where we are now, where we’re going, and the individual traits that will help us get there in terms of our amazing existences. Now, we need to think success.

First, we must realise this: that success is all mindset. Why? Because success is relative, of course. Success means different things to different people; there is no one, true scale of success. In fact, success is defined by Encarta Dictionary merely as the ‘achievement of intention’ – it gives no specific of what that intention is. So, if one of your intentions was to go to college, you are already a success on that level.

Do you see? The important thing is not the success at all, but the intention (or dream, or vision etc.) itself. What is your intention? That’s the big money question.

But, of course, the intention is often the easy part; most of us have the image of where we want to be quite fixed in our minds (we proved this in our earlier sketches.) The hard bit is really believing we can achieve it: really and truly having the successful mindset. Ask yourself:

Does your intention feel real to you?
Does it feel within reach, or a long way off?
Do you feel truly deserving of the intention?

– These are the measures upon which to build our self-belief.

If you want to think successfully, it is clear that you need to think confidently; with an unfailing sureness bolstering your intentions. But confidence in ourselves is not always easy if we are relentlessly focusing upon our as-yet-unachieved-intentions, instead of the small successes we have already accomplished. Start thinking of yourself as a success now and your further intentions become real, within reach and deserved.

Summary:

♥ Success is all mindset, because success is relative.
♥ A clear intention + self-belief = the successful mindset.
♥ Start thinking of yourself as a success now.

Homework:

♥ Be sure of yourself as a success.

Write a list of five to ten things you have already been successful in, from the smallest exam, to the perfect interview, to cultivating an amazing talent or knowledge within a subject, beginning each line with ‘I am/have been successful in...

By reminding yourself that you are already a success, the successful mindset becomes something far more solid and real-world to you, and perhaps you see that it was yours for the taking all along.

Next, write down five to ten things you would like to be successful in, from a precise skill, to abundant riches, to far-off travel, to marriage and kids. Write these as ‘I will be successful in/at/with...’ See my example:



(Note: Be sure not to allow yourself more intentions than previous successes, as this sort of defeats the object of the exercise!)

Now, instead of just a list of intentions, you have a list of evidence of your already-thriving-ability as an achiever plus your intentions. Regularly review what you have already been successful in, to spur on future success. Et voila, we are in possession of the successful mindset.

Please share how you're feeling about the month so far, what you're learning and what you're finding difficult - your feedback is inspiring to me and everybody else!

14 comments:

Greta said...

Megan, I love you. I'm going to really think this one over and then sit down and write write write.
And, oh, I didn't buy a new notebook after all. I bought a pair of ridiculous shoes instead (...) and decided to write the M.Y.L.A. homework in my 2010 diary. After all, that's what it's for, right? Self-exploration. Also I ran out of money. Hee!

Megan said...

Greta - I love you more! And shoes + a positive use for your 2010 diary seems like a terrific compromise to me :)

Carmab. said...

Hi Megan!
You're fantastic, these entries are fantastic, your blog is fantastic!
I was thinking if you would permit me to post a little content of these MYLA ideas on my blog for hungarian people, who don't speak English because this is a great idea, and it would help many people.
Thank you for your attention and sorry for my incorrect English. :)

Megan said...

Carmad - Hi! I'd be pleased to allow that, just as long as you include a link here and credit me :) P.S. Your english is ace!

LauraCassidy said...

Megan, if you don't get a book deal I'll eat my sparkly purple beret. You're a genius. I feel so inspired now!

Megan said...

Laura - That definitely wins best comment ever award on the basis that you gave me a big shiver of excitement! Thanks so much :D

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan, I am absolutely loving this! For me I have discovered how much I tend to overlook my past successes, which has been holding me back. I feel so much more motivated with everything now. =) Thanks, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow!
Love, Jenny x

Carmab. said...

Thank you Megan :)

Miss May said...

I just thought I should let you know that another person was completing your homework faithfully and truly loving this journey! I'm so grateful to you for sharing all of your amazing ideas and words of wisdom with me (and all of the other beautiful Charade readers). I wanted to thank you for giving me so much inspiration and pleasure, not just with the M.Y.L.A. series, but also just every day on Charade!

Much love and appreciation!
Megan

Megan said...

Miss Megan May - You are most welcome, it is so nice to hear such wonderful feedback! ♥

Lemondrop Marie said...

Lovely post, I really plan to work on this. There is a similar step in a book I am reading- Life Makeovers! I must do this, you've inspired me!
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Eternal*Voyageur @ Venusian*Glow said...

This was a lot of fun to do, and very inspiring !

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for these posts. I have been suffering from depression for awhile now and nothing seems to help. I felt so lost and I stopped doing things I love and enjoying life. It's been rough this past year. But doing the exercises has helped me so much. I really think I will be able to change my life for the better. Thank you so much for your posts and your positive outlook!

Anonymous said...

I know this is old, but I just found it, and decided to do it. I originally started this with ideas in my head of "accepted" successes, like awards and such, but then started really thinking, and can't even remember the "accepted" ones, because there are so many better ones. So thank you for this. It's making me learn to love myself a little bit more.

Post a Comment