Thursday, 7 January 2010

How to Revel in Your Own Life


Image thanks to clickflashphotos

“...And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years.” 
Abraham Lincoln

Woah – we’re at the one week point, and I don’t know about you, but I’m already exhausted! (In a good way.) So far in your M.Y.L.A journal you should have a pretty clear idea of the self you are striving to improve, a picture of what that will mean, and should be living more consciously to better understand your habits and try to kick the bad ones. Now, it’s time to stop assessing yourself, and start enjoying yourself!

That’s right, whatever is going on right now, wherever you are, however the landscape lies, you need to start enjoying it. Think of it as an exercise in happiness, a stretch of your appreciation muscle, joy aerobics...

Things will never be perfect, we can get them close to perfect, sure, but there’s always room for more when it comes to our greedy species. That’s why we need to learn to be thankful and content as we are. It’s not saying we don’t want better, it’s saying we want to always be happy, even if we could potentially be happier.

Look around you; this is your life, going on right now. Start enjoying it! Stop fighting against life; accept it for what it is. Ride the wave instead of being the rock it crashes against. Take your day and wander around the full extent of it, soak up the experiences like a sponge and slip and slide through all the little ups and downs. Let the day happen to you, rather than battling to happen to it.

Summary:

♥ Stop assessing yourself, and start enjoying yourself!
♥ Think of every day as an exercise in happiness.
♥ Don’t say you don’t want better, say you want to be happy.

Homework:

♥ An exercise in happiness.

I know you’ve been told this before, but it bears remembering: your mind is an incredibly powerful thing. Simply put, you can make yourself happy, if you want to. Don’t want to? Fine, you are the one who will miss out. But you do want to, I know you do, and you will.

This exercise is completely driven by want, by dogged determination to be joyful. It may not happen first time, but if you want it, through and through, it will happen. It requires you to feel at a loss, a low point, and if you’re lucky enough not to have these too often, then you may have put it in your happiness toolbox and save it for later.

When you get hit with that pang of the blues, grumpiness, melancholy, despair – whatever you want to call it – you have to take the power of your own mind back. Just like we reclaimed our individuality, we can reclaim our good mood with focus and intention.

Tell yourself straight: this state of dejection won’t get me anywhere, it makes me feel gloomy, I don’t deserve it and I want to get rid of it. Nine times out of ten, moodiness is simply self-indulgence; self-indulgence in darkness because the light in our life is not shining bright enough. We resolve to make a comfortable home in the depths of despair because we feel in control there, whereas the light – what could be – often worries and scares us. Tell yourself you deserve the light, and open yourself up to it.

It’s a classic, but think about all the reasons you have not to be despairing, against the (probably very few) reasons you have to be. Harness the power over your own thoughts; be the glittering brightness in your own world; cheer yourself up and be happy because you can be, and because it is always the right choice.

If you exercise in happy thoughts regularly, it may take time, but you will eventually become fully the regulator of your own mind - and that's a good place to be. Take a deep breath, and smile. Write in your journal: be happy! And mean it.

If you want to partake in some general discussion about your M.Y.L.A journey, I've created a topic on the Facebook page. I'll be checking in over there each day and will gladly answer any and all questions.

5 comments:

Archer's adv said...

Hey.. I like your blog. Leia's from hi fashion sent me the link and since then i have been a regular visitor. Just wanted to say that i like your blog and what you write! keep up the good work.
keep smiling and have a nice day :)

Vanessa said...

Great advice, Megan! It can be really hard to have a positive attitude, but if you try your best to just BE optimistic, it can really help. Also, smiling. I've heard quite a bit about studies that show smiling MAKES you happy and can help you perform better.

Aury said...

Hey Megan!
I love this post so much cos this is how I strive to live my life. Ever since I got through an especially bad case of depression, I've decided I don't like being unhappy and that I don't deserve it. That's why one of my mottos is that I don't do unhappy. Since then, I've tried not to stay angry, sad, or negative. I smile and laugh a lot and picture myself as a bubbly, energetic person. I want to radiate sushine and light and by being this person I am able to light up the days of others. Ever since I made the constant decision to just be happy, cos I deserve to be, (as everyone does) I have felt better about myself and about life in general.I love who I am when I am this bubbly, happy, full of life person, and it makes me even happier that I can share my happiness with others. I would love it if more people saw themselves as possible rays of sunlight.
xoxo

Megan said...

Great input everybody! xxx

Jodi said...

Great advice! Whenever I feel down I resort to adventuring. It's all about your attitude.

Post a Comment