Wednesday, 13 January 2010

How to Write Powerful Daily Affirmations – and Make them Work!



"It is necessary to write, if the days are not to slip emptily by. How else, indeed, to clap the net over the butterfly of the moment?" 
Vita Sackville-West

A great deal of the homework I have been encouraging you to take part in so far this month has revolved around you constructing positive and encouraging, written truths for yourself. These are called affirmations – they verify the things you want and aspire to, rather than letting them get pushed to the back of your mind because the washing-up needs doing or you’ve got to go to work, etc.

You may never have experienced the real power of an affirmation – that combination of words that really hits home. Like with a wonderful quote; you could have heard the same thing time and again in a different format or style and never really paid attention to it, but something about the way it is put now truly strikes a chord and excites you.

The good news is, with a little self-loving dedication, you can construct these powerful affirmations yourself. In fact, you can make them even more powerful because you can tailor them to your own needs, and see the most amazing results.

Once you have several of these perfectly poignant phrases, you can arm yourself against any down-day by simply repeating them to yourself; in your head or out load in the mirror. If you’ve constructed an affirmation that really incites and inspires you – when you say it you will be able to relate back to that feeling, and harness your emotions in a more positive direction.

Summary:

♥ Affirmations verify the things you want and aspire to
♥ Affirmations should be powerful to you, so why not tailor them that way?
♥ Powerful affirmations will guard you against the blues by reigniting positive feelings

Homework:

♥ Build your own affirmations.

Affirmations start with words, first and foremost, and a single word can often be just as powerful as a collection of words if it is realised in the right circumstances. So, start by listing a heap of buzz words that get your blood pumping. If you’re not the most articulate, use ‘Right Click’ – ‘Synonyms’ in a Word document, or break out a good old fashioned thesaurus.

Try to gather around twenty of these buzz words, so that you are then able to skim through and find the best, most stirring ones. Now, we need to form these into short, punchy, provocative statements, and if you’re not a wordy type that may not be the easiest thing.

Start with a simple phrase that you’d like to be true, such as:

I am happy and content with the direction my life is taking.

Good, but not powerful. Try and incorporate your buzzwords to really give this plain affirmation some sparkle. What about:

I delight in and celebrate my enchanting existence every day.

Perhaps a bit over the top, but with more zing, I think you’ll agree. Not that you have to agree, you might prefer the first one; your affirmations don’t have to be elaborate, what is vital is that they work for you. A perfectly phrased affirmation is still useless if it doesn’t give you that buzz of energy. See my example:



I was once at a spa and they had the word ‘vitality’ written on one of the windows; simple, yes, but in that time and place, for me, it was a complete ‘hallelujah! That’s what I’m aiming for!’ moment. Remember that your affirmations are only for you; you don’t need to go reciting them out to people, so let what works, work.

Repeat your affirmations daily, improve them when they need improving, strive to believe them, see results!

3 comments:

Greta said...

Yes! This is THE post for me. I've been trying to come up with powerful affirmations for myself for ages, but never quite found anyone I loved. Now I will really think it through and use the change-the-words-tip to get the sentences as I want them. Thank you so much, Megan <3

Jeni said...

I've really been enjoying your posts recently! I hope you don't mind but I have also quoted you in a post I wrote earlier about "how to be a success"!

This quote is just beautiful too, i need to write it down or put on a t-shirt and wear it :)

jeniwren.com

Eternal*Voyageur @ Venusian*Glow said...

I'm still working on this one. BTW I love "vitality" ! I want it in my bathroom !

Post a Comment