Friday, 22 January 2010

Play a Character


Image thanks to vivianna love

“Good character is more to be praised than outstanding talent. Most talents are, to some extent, a gift. Good character, by contrast, is not given to us. We have to build it, piece by piece - by thought, choice, courage, and determination.” 
H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Very often, we limit ourselves. We do without even realising it; we make assumptions of our own abilities and hide behind them persistently. Because of this, the character we are and the character we want to be are often very far apart, yet we don’t see that this is merely because of our own limits.

An antidote to this condition is to play a character. When we dream-up the character we could be; the character that we’d love to be, we have a very real vision of what we’re aspiring too, and we needn’t place any boundaries on what we can achieve. We have a reference point to call upon in times of questioning, when we’re not sure what choices to make, we can simply ask ‘what would my character do?’

You can base your character on someone you know, on a literary or film character, a fairytale figure, or just conjure up your own from your imagination. Make it someone you would look up to if you knew them, but beyond this they can be as fantastical as you fancy; the bigger and bolder, the better.

From childhood experience, we know that, once we submit ourselves to the world of make believe, anything becomes possible. So, by dabbling in this, we can learn more of the character we could become to the extent that, with enough practice, we can achieve that limitless character in the real world.

Summary:

♥ Don’t be held back by your self-made limits
♥ Dream up who you could be, and ask yourself what they would do
♥ Dabble in the fantastical to form a very real, limitless character for yourself

Homework:

♥ Encourage your character.

Today's homework is in two parts, one journal piece and one practical piece. Firstly, map your character out in your journal. Look back at your past exercises if you wish, write your character or draw it, or even use magazine clippings - whatever feels right to you, just get your dream, unlimited character down on paper.

Secondly, today, take your camera around with you and start to capture pictures of your life. I’m often enamoured by the beautiful lives of bloggers, they just look so magical. It used to make me think ‘oh no, why isn’t my life that wonderful?’ and then, of course, I realised, it can be! Why not make my life that beautiful? But I’ll need encouragement; I’ll need to play my own most amazing character; I’ll need to make each day so glorious that it is worth taking photos of.

If the pictures don’t live up to your vision at first, don’t worry, they will – it just takes practice. Not only will knowing you’re going to take photos encourage you to be more wonderful, beautiful and worth taking pictures of, the pictures you get will also serve as a future reminder of how beautiful and wonderful your precious memories are.

3 comments:

Eternal*Voyageur @ Venusian*Glow said...

"I’m often enamoured by the beautiful lives of bloggers, they just look so magical." that's why I'm so addicted to blogs... and that's why I started blogging.

Crap, I need to order that new camera already...

Vanessa said...

Lovely post once again, Megan!

Stephanie said...

This is probably the best post so far. I really need a character I can play to get me through next week, but I've never actually thought about the character I want to be.

And getting back to taking pictures is very inspiring. If I look at the room I'm in, all I see are heaps of paper, dust, and a lot of stuff I'd need to clean up. With a camera in my hand I suddenly realise that there are flowers on the table, that my wall is painted in a lovely colour, and so on. It really changes the way how I perceive my surroundings.

Post a Comment