Tuesday, 12 January 2010

Sell Yourself, to Yourself


Image thanks to payalnic

“Life is just a mirror, and what you see out there, you must first see inside of you.” 
Wally Amos

In business, there’s a lot of waffle about selling yourself. This is true, you should sell yourself in business, but who should you be selling yourself to first and foremost in life? Why, yourself of course! I’ve already tried to tell you that you are your most precious asset, now it’s time to really recognize it, so that others can catch on too!

During an average day, you are constantly being sold stuff – from junk mail in your email inbox and the packaging of your cereal box, to the editorials in your fashion magazines and ad breaks in between your favourite TV shows. If we live in a world where we are constantly being sold to (and constantly see it working!) shouldn’t we start being sold on ourselves? Otherwise, we’re just going to feel more and more like we really need this stuff that will apparently ‘Make Us Thin!’ and ‘Make Us Interesting!’ and ‘Make Us Popular With the Opposite Sex!’

What’s more, if you don’t sign-up to the wonder that is you, how can you expect anyone else to? Success in relationships, career etc. all require us ‘selling’ ourselves, or seeming worthy to others. The logical place to start for success in these areas is to have a self that we feel is worthy, a self that we’d love to know if we weren’t us.

Summary:

You should be sold on you, first and foremost
♥ Don’t let yourself get sold on stuff you don’t need, just because you’re not sold on you
♥ Make yourself worthy to others, by being worthy to yourself

Homework:

♥ Create a self-belief C.V.

This exercise is an extension from the one we did on reclaiming your true individuality, only better! Write yourself a mini self-belief CV; one that lets you know, before anyone else, what an exceptional character you are. You should already be sold on many of your great qualities and successes by the work we’ve done together so far; now it’s time to summarise and simplify those into one place.

This doesn’t have to be in the format of a traditional CV, nor do we want to analyze and criticise ourselves too much. We simply want to highlight our best, most prized qualities, so that they become our focus, and in that become the traits we develop further. Simple. See my example:


 (Click picture for large version!)

Break it up into sections such as:

♥ Expertise & Talents
♥ Achievements
♥ Unrivalled Qualities
♥ Real-World Qualifications... or whatever you choose that sells you, to you!

Now that you have this CV, are you sold? Don’t be disheartened if you aren’t quite, we still have a way to go in our month-long journey into the amazing. The most productive thing you could take from this exercise, if you aren’t already sold, is a new focus on how to get sold.

Keep your voices heard people! Don't get left behind! What's going on for you? Let's talk. Skipped some articles? Fine, this is YOUR journey, take it at your own pace, but don't lose heart altogether. You can jump back in at anytime and the water's great!

9 comments:

pOli said...

I just found your blog and this MYLA thing is so perfect for me right now! (new begining)
I just wish i had found it earlier! I have so much to catch on, but really looking forward to it! :D

Megan said...

Thanks Poli!! Let me know how you get on :) ♥

Zooey said...

I really love MYLA!! What kind of journal do you use? I'm not starting yet because I want *the perfect* journal. Yes, I'm that kind of girl!

Megan said...

Zooey - I'm using one of these beautiful 'Blossom' journals which came in a twin-pack as a Christmas gift from my boyfriend:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=32806052

Aubrey said...

Hello! I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for following Glitterable! I've looked around Charade a bit and I'm really excited to have found it! I'll be subscribing. <3

Nagashiko said...

Very inspiring. I was bloghopping and I found this site. Lemme try to this homework. =D

Dylana said...

Lovely blog!

colormenana.blogspot.com

Amelia said...

I love this idea! I keep meaning to write a dating CV, as a silly little thing, this is much more productive!
xx

Eternal*Voyageur @ Venusian*Glow said...

I had a great time doing this one. Thanks a lot Megan !

Zooey I feel your pain. Luckily I happened to have a perfect journal at home.
But sometimes it's just better to roll, and just do this on a blank sheet... which you can later file into a pretty folder, or frame, or something.

Post a Comment