Friday, 1 January 2010

Why You’re Standing at the Edge of Your Dream Life and Refusing to Jump In

Welcome to the first M.Y.L.A article. Get involved, share your experiences, ask questions - be amazing...

“The purpose of life is a life of purpose.” 
Robert Byrne

You only live once, so you might as well do it right, right? Few people would vocally disagree, and yet millions disagree through their actions every day. Your alarm goes off, you half fall out of bed, bump into the corner of your wardrobe and open the curtains on a grey day. Great, it’s off to face the world again.

These days happen, I know they do, and I’m not saying they don’t ever happen to me. What I am saying is that we can make these days fewer and fewer until, hopefully, they do disappear altogether, whether physically or just because we gain a more positive mindset. Bad days are not a given in life, we only think they are, and we are wrong.

The truth is: you can be happier. The truth is that you are the only thing standing in the way of your own happiness, of your own amazing life. You can make it happen, and you will, if you want it badly enough.

What’s holding you back?

There are many things that could be in the way of your dream life: expectation, status-quo, indecision... but mostly, I’d hazard that it is this: fear. You only get the big win by taking a chance, and taking a chance is scary. Western life is comfortable, too comfortable. It is comfortable and it doesn’t challenge us, so, on the most part, we don’t challenge it – 'what’s the point?' we think.

Though you may not feel you are literally afraid of being your dream self and you may seemingly feel quite the opposite (you may be gasping for it) somehow, on some level, it doesn’t feel right, it doesn’t feel deserved, it feels uncomfortable, it feels scary. To finally realise your most amazing life, you must beat this fear.

Summary:

♥ Being unhappy is not a given. You don’t have to accept your life as it is, if it is not good enough.
♥ You are the only thing standing in the way of your dream life.
♥ Your first mission is to beat the fear.

Homework:

- Stop being scared of your dream self; picture your amazing life.

In the first page of your notebook, sketch your dream self. Now, I can’t draw for all the chocolate truffles in Belgium, so don’t worry if you can’t either, we’re not trying to be Picasso reincarnated, nor does anyone ever have to see the picture; we just want to have an image we can relate to.

Have a few goes as practice if you like, and see which elements feel most exciting. This isn’t just a style exercise; draw anything. Include representative items such as: a wooden spoon to represent a baking career, a big diamond ring to represent marriage to the love of your life, a flower to represent your own perfect home with a garden. The drawing can be completely abstract or symbolic, as long it means something to you. See my example:


Sit with your sketch for a moment. What’s to fear? Why are you not already this self? In what ways are you already this self? The childishness and inherent simplicity of this kind of exercise will hopefully help you to see there is nothing to fear in being a dreamer, an aspirationalist, and an amazing achiever!

23 comments:

Greta said...

Oh, I love this! Also, I was just wondering, should I get myself a new notebook for the M.Y.L.A. posts? I mean, will all of the homework be about drawing/writing? (Say yes, say yes! There are so many beautiful notebooks on sale right now, and you could justify buying yet another one...)

Megan said...

Greta - Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Mine was a Christmas prezzie :)

Eternal*Voyageur @ Venusian*Glow said...

I'd love to know what that key means... your own home ?

Oh and now I'm off to find a blank notebook.

Megan said...

Eternal - You're right! It does symbolize my very own home. Feel free to steal the idea!

p.m.linda said...

I love your post :) What a good idea! I will try to draw my dreams! And I will follow your blog!

Marthe said...

Hm. I don't really like to draw. But do you think I can just cut out and glue in images from photos and magazines?

I promise not to put in a picture of a thin model! ;)

Megan said...

Marthe - I did consider that, but I think that a sketch is better for the point of the exercise, even if it's stick men and doodles! The fun is in using your childish creativity - and the point is to beat the fear of the things you think you can't do. I believe in you!

Vanessa said...

I definitely want to do this. I definitely can't draw for all the truffles in Belgium EITHER, but I'm going to try.

Megan said...

Vanessa - Good on you! And good luck!

Alice said...

I'm officially joining in, the Alice in Wonderland book has stayed blank for too long! whats the P for? xx

Megan said...

Alice - The P is for Pilates!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really have forgotten how much fun drawing could be. Your drawing is actually very nice compared to mine. And I love the way you avoided drawing ears and hands. xD Thanks you made my day! =)

Megan said...

Anon - Aw, wonderful! And yes, the avoidance of ears and hands was quite purposeful... Just look at the evil eyes! Ha. But I drawing really enjoyed it too. ♥

Megan said...

**That's: 'I really enjoyed drawing it too'. Ooopsies!

milky ~ rose said...

oh i love this. im going to sit tonight and sketch. im looking forward to tommorrows post. happy new year.

OhSnapSonya said...

Love it, love it, love it!
I'm definitely going to tell my friends about this.
And not only does it give me drawing prompts when I'd otherwise have a complete blank, but it also gives me a use for one of my millions of notebooks.
And even though you say you can't draw, I think your little self-portrait is absolutely adorable. :)

Megan said...

OhSnapSonya - I hear that, I am a notebook fiend, and I got 3 new ones for xmas! Just checked out your blog too, it's wonderful! ♥

Eternal*Voyageur @ Venusian*Glow said...

I just realised we could make a Polyvore out of it ;-)

Trish said...

Hi! I just wanted to say that this is my first time on your site, and I thought this was totally cool. You're so right. Even if I'm afraid, I shouldn't let that stop me. I'm drawing in my visual diary right now! Time to visualise the dream!

Cristina said...

I know it's February 5th, but I ran across this only now...

I wish I could follow along with everybody... but I guess it's never too late to love yourself, right?

So I'm on, even if I'm on my own... thank you for this serie!

Anonymous said...

This was an amazing idea. I love it, and I think it will really help me. Thank you. :)

Lola said...

I just started this today (actually last weekend but I finished off my drawing today!) Yours is like a Picasso compared to mine haha but it's what it means that matters :) This actually gave me quite an insight as to what my dream self really is all about; and was also encouraging in that I realized I'm well on my way!

Anonymous said...

Do you know of any other journal things like this? Once I'm done with this one, I'd love to start another

Post a Comment