Wednesday, 26 May 2010

Maracas and Mojitos: An Evening with Havana Cultura


Picture the scene: it's a Friday night, you've not made any plans and you're experiencing that 'I desperately need to go out somewhere before nights in, in my pajama's by 9pm, watching BBC iPlayer, becomes my fate for life' sensation. Then you realise, you're in luck! You've been invited (+2) to attend a butt-shaking, shin-shimmying, beat-bopping night out with free entry and complimentary Havana rum cocktails. Life suddenly feels good.

The event is part of an ongoing project celebrating modern music and culture straight out of Cuba, Havana Cultura, and it's being headed by BBC Radio One's very own Gilles Peterson. Here's a little introduction:


The act we saw was Cuban hip hop favourite, Kumar, with a whole host of musician-wizards on stage to back him up: decks, drums, keyboard, and even a talented trumpet player who was making eyes at my friend Ellen all evening!


I wouldn't ever have called myself a hip hop fan, but this wasn't simply 'phat beats' and 'sick rhymes', Kumar's music was infused with latino and even jazz and was thoroughly good. My friends, I danced until I dropped.

If you're interested in finding out more about the various musicians involved in the project, or any of the artists, dancers and even fashion designers on board, there's a whole heap of video material to be found on the Havana Cultura website. And, if you get a chance to attend one of the great events, certainly don't pass it up for a night on the sofa!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like alot of fun!

Ivania santos By DIAMOND said...

Hi honey!

Great blog...LOVE IT <3
xoxo* by Portugal

http://ivaniadiamond.blogspot.com

;)*

Post a Comment