Monday, 13 September 2010

Words to Live By #107

Image thanks to vpvasquez

"If you were all alone in the universe with no one to talk to, no one with which to share the beauty of the stars, to laugh with, to touch, what would be your purpose in life? It is other life, it is love, which gives your life meaning. This is harmony. We must discover the joy of each other, the joy of challenge, the joy of growth."
Mitsugi Saotome

I'm back! And, woah, what a week. I'm in a flat, I've started classes, I've made a small group of friends, I've gone to/hosted a party/get-together every night bar one, I've been camping on the beach and I. Am. Exhausted! It's really been amazing though, better than I could ever have imagined.

However, such big change is always a coin with two sides for me: spectacularly invigorating whilst being equally disorientating and overwhelming. I am, at my core, a homely creature who thrives on routine and 'the law of straightness' (an in-joke with my sister) - so when life starts whipping around me like a 100 mile an hour wind and throwing things at me from all angles, my head spins and I crave quiet and calm. I can't escape all the evening fun I'm having here, and wouldn't want to, but I do need my 'me-time'. So, seeing as I start classes at 11.00 every morning, I have decided that the hours before this will become my reading/writing/studying/tea-sipping oasis of order :) I don't want the blog to suffer for my being so busy here, and I'm always up for a challenge, so expect regularity from here on!

I didn't get to do my Saturday Salute due to the aforementioned plan not yet having been devised, which meant I didn't share a very special link which you all must click on. My wonderful, smiling, gracious, talented friend Ellen has had an article published (the first of many I hope) over on Green Prophet. It is a review of the book 10 Ways to Change the World in Your 20's by Libuse Binder and Ellen certainly sells it to me! Please read it and let her know what you think of it in the comments.

Thanks for all the comments and curiousity left on the previous post - it warms my heart to know I have a little network of people from all over the world keen to know where I am and what I'm up to. You're like stars in my internet sky!

5 comments:

Fel said...

Wow, sounds like you had an amazing week! The oasis of calm-idea is great, it'll be such a great start into each day. :)

Alice said...

You're so like mum! Love you! x

Euforilla said...

Sounds just like Spain!
My best friend went there in erasmus years ago, she had a great time, and you're starting just right ;)
Don't worry, you'll find your pace there too!

crunicorn said...

I love Edward Monkton!!! (at least I hope that is the right reference!!)

Zmaga said...

I'm glad it's working out for you!

Post a Comment