Wednesday, 1 December 2010

You Tell Me... Would you buy it again?

 Image thanks to jewell willett

One word: revelation (also known as: a thought that came to me when wrangling my way into a 20 euro dress in a Spanish changing room...)

I’ve written extensively on creating your dream wardrobe, and a large part of this has been on wardrobe organisation. One of the essential keys to successful wardrobe organisation, in my opinion, is to know when things need to go: the big, regular clear out.

This is always hard, we’re gatherers by nature; giving stuff away just doesn’t sit right somehow. But I think Nubby Twiglet hit the nail on the head when she said: “To me, style and organization are interrelated. I don’t know about you, but I find that when my clothing is organized, easy to access and whittled down to what’s most loved, getting dressed and pulling together a look becomes so much more enjoyable.

Think of it like making a meal: how much simpler does it look on cooking shows where each individual ingredient is pre-chopped and ready-to-hand in those neat little dishes? This preparation gives the chef the opportunity to make something really special in a jiffy. Give yourself the same opportunity with your daily dress-up.

‘So what’, you’re thinking, ‘we know we should keep things organised’. Indeed you do: you throw out the laddered tights, the jeans that are thinning at the knees, the old bed-shirts... but what if that’s not enough? What if you could take it up a level? What if you could keep shedding, keep clearing, until you were whittled down to only your finest, most authentic and treasured items: because, if you only had those, by default each outfit would be fine, authentic, and a treasure. Well, ladies, I think I may have the question you need to ask yourself:

Would you buy it again?

Gaze into the Narnian-depths of your wardrobe and honestly ask yourself: how many of the things that you own would you actively go and replace if they were to somehow go missing? Then...

Tell me!

9 comments:

Marthe said...

Great post! And a very good question that I don't really dare to ask. I'm afraid I won't be left with many items in my closet if I apply this as a rule.. :/

laura said...

i've been shopping "consciously" for the last 2 years or so, constantly going through my wardrobe & sorting things out that don't feel quite right anymore. so no i've got to a point where i can say i'd buy most of the clothes i own again. i have lots of favourites in my wardrobe, there is a special colour scheme, so things go together well and it's all quite right actually... it feels quite good if you don't really NEED anything (and you don't NEED to hurry), but you can still have open eyes and look if there are more soon-to-be favourites out there. (:

mariaik said...

Fabulous post, as usual! We all need this exercise - and we need it regularly. I would also add two things.

1) Don't hang on to something you fit into 10 years ago, because you are hoping to fit into it again. You deserve the clothes that make you look good NOW. And if you do slim down, you'll want to celebrate and reward yourself with something new anyway!
2) Go over everything that is "dry clean only" and make sure it's clean and in good repair. If it has even a touch of that musty smell about it - take it over to be cleaned, and make sure they fix any missing buttons, falling hems and broken zippers, while they are at it. You'll get back a garment that feels like new for a lot less than a standard shopping trip. :-)

Sara said...

Fantastic post. I'm in the midst of the most ruthles clearout I've ever had, giving two huge binbags of stuff to charity and selling tons on ebay. I thought I'd feel bereft but I just feel envigorated!

Vanessa said...

could've written this myself, but probably with less eloquence haha. thinking about linking back to this from my blog. great advice!

CG said...

Wow, what an important question to ask ourselves...

I've held on to some clothes like I have people in my life. Recently, I deleted 400 (yes, seriously) people from my Facebook friends list! If they got the boot, I think that dowdy, powder-blue, Limited Too (yes... seriously) sweatshirt I wear on "moody days" needs to GO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O!
Awesome post, what a great read.. I think I need to print out those five words and tape them on top of my closet!

Style Asylum said...

I've thrown away a loooooot of clothes in my days, and there's only one garment I regret not hanging on to; my rust-coloured hoodie that made me look like a Jedi. Everything else I've maybe missed once when I was going to a costume party and totally could have used a washed out band shirt ten sizes too big. This advice really is spot on!

Lorena said...

What a good post.
It got me thinking, I do not have an answer, but I AM THINKING...

Passion4Fashion said...

Great post. I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

http://excitedfordesign.blogspot.com

Post a Comment