Friday, 28 October 2011

Friday Feature: The University of Winchester


Hello and welcome to the Friday Feature! This week we’re taking it academic-chic with a shout-out to the wonders of Winchester University (who, incidentally, have recently offered my very sensational grandmother a PhD placement – go Nana T!)


I was offered a choice of courses to showcase, but I decided to plump for English for one simple reason: it’s what I studied at university. Having a Bachelor of Arts with Honours feels pretty good, I can tell you, and English – whilst often criticised for its non-specific nature in terms of job prospects – is in my opinion one of the best options for your degree. Why, you ask? Well I don’t know about you, but I wasn’t that sure exactly what I wanted to be when I was seventeen and everyone was going UCAS crazy. I knew I liked words. I knew I was good at words. So I plumped for joint honours English Literature and Creative Writing.

Taking English as a joint subject, rather than limiting you, leaves you open to a whole world of careers and pathways after university – because, heads up people, when you throw that cap in the air at the end of your three years, life is only just beginning. I look at my English degree as a foundation upon which to go and build whatever career I choose – marketing, journalism, being an author, another stint in academia – the world is very much my oyster, and I don’t think you can say that if you get too specific too early on. 


But, hang on a minute – why Winchester? I’ll tell you why. A truly beautiful campus with a wowing mix of new and old based in an historical city awash with cultural colourfulness! I can tell you: if Winchester had come under my radar when I was researching universities, it would have been a serious contender. They even offer international exchanges to the US, Germany or Poland – chłodny!

So don’t limit yourself and take a look at the English courses on offer with the University of Winchester - and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Morag Lee said...

Whilst I did a degree in Management (well, I'm still doing it) I agree that English can be a really good degree to do. Really specific degrees are amazing as well but only if you really really really know that this is what you want to do with your life. (I work in my universities career service- can you tell?!?!) General degrees such as English, Sociology, and Psychology can be a good footing for so many types of career paths! x

Post a Comment