Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Start a Good News Diary

Image thanks to lifelike

Best bit of advice I’ve had in a long time? That, unsurprisingly, was the passed-down wisdom of my awesomely-elderly grandmother? Start a good news diary.

What is a good news diary? I’ll tell you.

Many of you will keep daily journals.

I don’t.

Say what? Nuh-uh. I know, I know: I’m a writer. But I don’t write a journal. And I can’t even blame the blog in a sort of this-takes-up-so-much-of-my-time sob story, because I’ve never journalled with any regularity: only on holidays. I’d love to, but it just don’t come’natural to me, and forced writing is the pits. But I know – trust me, I know – what I’m missing out on. I actively envy those who keep daily life-bites to look back on; blissfully bathed in a dusty attic sunbeam years from now. So that’s why the idea of a good news diary arrived like birdsong to my ears.

One simple yet sensational sentence to write each day in response to the question: what was the best thing that happened to you today?

REVOLUTIONARY!

The most straightforward way to shake-up your perspective and practice appreciative living. And soon enough you’ll have volumes of all the reasons it’s great to be you, and be able to confidently look back and say ‘it’s been a great week!’ – or month – or year.

What will it be today?


I made somebody smile.

or

I fell a little bit in love.

or even just

I whipped up an awesome winter soup.

Even if a day goes by in which it seems nothing good happened, you can always write, as my grandma recounted a little girl she knew saying: I didn’t get eaten by a crocodile.

Because you didn’t, did you.

Try it now in glorious anticipation of 2012 (I think you might love it).

8 comments:

Faff said...

I really like this idea! Writing a journal doesnt come naturally to me either - altho I have done it on and off in the past, I cant say its something I have any notion to go back and look at. The good news thing sounds more like the way to go! :)

Kc said...

Awesome idea :) grandmas are the best!! I may have to have a go...

Kc

http://a-sparkley-silver-lining.blogspot.com/

Merry said...

Wonderful idea!

Sylvia Schade said...

Great post Megan! I do believe I'll make this one an evening ritual, thanks!

nataliebrooke said...

Haha, I love this - "I didn’t get eaten by a crocodile" so true!! (hopefully for everyone! lol!) I am so doing this, thanks for the inspiration. Hoping I can stick with this. (:

LOVE your blog by the way!

-claireyfairy- said...

What a great idea :) definitely going to give it a try x

Sorcha said...

This is such an amazing idea. I'll definitely be starting one. :)

Sorcha x
Bonfire Brunette

connie said...

Believe it or not, but I actually do this. I have a 'positive notes' journal. I record all the great things that happen in the day, all the things I am grateful and all the things that made me happy. I also keep track on how I am going with my goals, and make notes of the exercise I do, and what I eat. It is such a great way to reflect on the day, and keep track of my progress.

Highly recommend it!

Thank you for sharing this xxx

Post a Comment