Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Take Yourself on a Creative Date


People are always at their most wonderful when they are being creative; this is when our full potential is able to shine and to grow. 

When we are creating, we are being most authentically ourselves, rather than running to an agenda.

Whatever kind of creative you are: a writer, an artist, a musician, a dancer, a designer... you have to continually feed your creative side if you want it to work for you. How do you go about this? One way is to take yourself on a creative date.

Whether or not you consider yourself as ‘a creative’, if you are taking part in this series or are in any way trying to improve your life, then you are; you are creating a life from your imagination, you are becoming the illustrator of your own existence, and this is the highest peak of creativity. This creativity still needs feeding in the same way.

A creative date is simply an exercise in inspiration; it is partaking in an activity or activities which inspire, motivate, and encourage your creative side. Its aim is fulfilment and crafting a life worth falling in love with.

Summary:
♥ When being creative, we are being our most authentic
♥ Whatever your creative practice, you need to continually feed your creative side
♥ Regular creative dates will lead you to a life worth falling in love with
Homework:

Organise your own creative date.

Think about the things that most inspire you: film, art, theatre, dance, photography, nature, food, architecture... and then outline the perfect day or afternoon trip that will incorporate them. Take a paddle boat out on a local lake, wander around a gallery, see the ballet, read a classic in the park, do a cooking class, go for a walk in the woods, see an arthouse film etc.

If possible, take your journal with you to record your sparks of inspiration. This should be a regular activity – think of yourself as a lamp that needs plugging in every once in a while to keep it working at its full potential. When we are constantly inspired, then we are constantly living out or fullest, most dynamic lives, we are constantly witnessing our own achievement, and we are constantly putting the 'zing!' in amazing!

2 comments:

Joisey Dani said...

I do this all the time! Great suggestion! My perfect creative date for myself is -- Go to my local Starbucks for an hour and people watch; document/write what I see or hear. Then I take myself to a movie and write a review about the movie I saw back at my local Starbucks. After I finish that I read and read and read some more. I would love to see a post from you of what your perfect creative date would be!

XOXO,
Danielle
itisajoiseywayofthinking.blogspot.com

The Dotty One said...

I'm a bit behind on MYLA (again!) but at least I haven't given up I guess. I am really looking forward to doing this one! I've got an essay due at the moment so all my energy is going on that but I am going to have my creative date as the reward to spur me on! And then I think I might try and schedule them regularly :o)
Thanks for the seires Megan :o)

Post a Comment