Saturday, 14 January 2012

What You Need to Know About Happiness and Determination


Saying you want to be happy, and actually setting out and doing something about it, you’ll know, are two quite different things. 

You have the right to happiness, and you can choose it anytime you like, but we’ve all felt the weight that bears down on us when their seems to be too many darned hurdles in the way; we give up and resort to a limbo state of idleness, hoping happiness will come knocking when we get that big promotion or meet the lover of our dreams.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but, like everything worth having in life, happiness takes work; it takes drive, and it takes persistent determination. Just because there are people all around you making it look easy, it doesn’t mean that it is (and it probably wasn’t for them either.) But, I believe, happiness that is actively worked for, is the most sustainable kind of happiness – the kind that won’t abandon you when you least expect it, because you understand it better, and you got yourself there. 

The way I see it: 

The Desire for Happiness + Determination = Success

Why? Because you need to be determined to be happy; you need to have a concept of happiness that you strive towards. I don’t know why humans are here on this earth, but it does seem obvious to me that it is not to mope about aimlessly. From your own experience, wouldn’t you agree that the people in your life who have a major focus or direction – one that they feel passionate and inspired about and actively work at – are the people who are most happy? If you become determined enough towards happiness, happiness will become a by-product, because the two thrive off of one another.

Because you are sitting there, reading this article, it is clear to me that you already feel determined to succeed and be happy – otherwise you’d have head off to turn the TV on by now! Now that you know that, and I know that, let’s work together to make it a reality...

Summary:
♥ Happiness isn’t easy but, if you work for it, it will be sustainable
♥ The Desire for Happiness + Determination = Success
♥ Your determination should be a major focus or point of direction
Homework:

Work hard to be happy.

Up until this point: have you been working hard to be happy? How much happier do you think you could be if you had been? Happiness is not the result of getting to one place or achieving one thing – it never will be. No, happiness comes first; happiness should be the backbone of your existence, and you should work for it before you set about working for anything else. 

Today’s homework is simple: reinstate your enthusiasm for the MYLA series. Go back and review the exercises you’ve completed so far and consider what they’ve taught you about being amazing. Realise that to complete them all will take work, but that it is work that is worth it; it is work towards happiness and a better you than ever before.

After this reflection, in your journal, write five points on what you’re noticing happiness means to you, and five points on what determined work you could be doing to make that happiness a reality. See my example:

(Click for larger version!)

Share your points in the comments, and your thoughts on MYLA so far! For more on the topic you might want to read How to Be Happy.

4 comments:

connie said...

Hi Megan, I agree that happiness is a choice and that to get what we want to make us happy we have to work hard. I also agree that we cannot just sit around waiting for happiness to fall in our lap.

However, I actually believe the 'doing' part of happiness is not about what we need to do in the outer world, but more so what we need to do about our 'mindset'. I believe happiness is our natural state, but then all these funky negative thoughts, fears, worries, and bad habits get in the way and block our access to it. I feel that all we need to do is start to shift our perspective, choose new thoughts, be willing to see things in new ways, and do the work to clear our the crap in our minds.

I do not think that anything outside of us needs to change to make us happy. What needs to change is what is happening inside of us.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for all these beautiful posts, I am loving them! Connie x

Stephybabes said...

Hey Megan ♥
Haven't been on your site for a week :O feels too long to me haha :-)Got a lot of MYLA to catch up on :P
Loving MYLA so far!xx

Kathy said...

Megan, I love this post , it's so simple and true. We must WORK at happiness . I have wasted time saying to myself , I will be happy when ____ , or If only I had ___ I would be happy .

Now throughout the day, I remind myself that I choose happiness above all else .

Connie , I couldn't agree more , it's our mindset that may hold us back from happiness .

Cara said...

I'm in the middle of my A-level exams at the minute (I have 4 next week), and MYLA has been exactly what I need.
I was getting caught up and, to be quite honest, floundering in the weight of my future. We have been told for so long that everything rests on these next 6 months. I really needed this to remind myself that these grades will not define who I am or what my future will be - there are always second chances and I will always be exactly as I was before during or after them.

Thankyou.

Post a Comment