Thursday, 23 February 2012

Choose Your Choice: Why I'm USA-Bound

Image thanks to amy

Friends and loves: I quit my job. And on the 20th March I will board a plane bound for New York City. Holy McMoley.

But let's start at the beginning.

The other day I got to thinking about choice. I've been working the 9-5 grind for five months now. Living in the city which I've lived in almost all my life. Hanging out with the same faces (as lovely faces as they are!) and generally feeling pretty disappointed with how my life is looking. None of this has felt very me. None of it has felt very Make Your Life Amazing.

Now, it's always easy to blame less-than-desirable scenarios on exterior circumstances, and I did, momentously. My boyfriend broke-up with me! I can't afford to travel! I'm stuck in a dead-end job! Yadda-yadda-yadda. Then I realised: I'm the one making the choices here. My life is looking exactly the way I've illustrated it to look. I chose not to beg my boy back. I chose to move back to my hometown. I chose to get a 9-5. And that was quite a liberating realisation. I thought life was getting in the way of my dreams, and then I realised I was.

And you know what? Since I committed to changing my choice, to choosing what I really want to do - everything has been slotting into place. As SATC's Charlotte says, "I choose my choice!"

  • I boldly quit my job. They offered me three months extended leave.
  • I bravely decided to abandon the flat I'd have to continue paying for even if I wasn't living it. I found a girl to sublet (and pay me all the rent in advance).
  • I started living with a new spirit - an excited, enthusiastic spirit - because I had something to look forward to. I've been meeting new people left, right and centre - and am actually feeling excited about returning to Bristol after my trip...

You make the brave decisions and you get the ball rolling. Life says "oh, cool, you're finally open to that?" And you nod along with vigour wondering what took you so long.

What now? First on the agenda is a soul trip, and where better than the land of true be-sure-to-wear-flowers-in-your-hair soul: San Francisco, California (via NYC, naturally). I will be going for two months, with the endeavour to walk amongst redwoods, write, study, drink lots, take photos, kiss a few Americans and dip my toes in the ocean. I'm attempting to sell my clothes (not all of them!) on eBay to afford the flights, and hoping to rely on the generosity of Couch Surfers for most of my accommodation. 

Why a 'soul trip'? Because there is nothing like a break-up, followed by a five month stint in a dead-end job, to leave your mojo running a little dry. So this is my medicine. It's a trip to feed my imagination and light me back up. (No, it won't include one of those kinds of 'trips'.) 

I've wanted to take an extended trip to the US for the longest time, and very much feel I need to 'get it out of my system.' Should I happen to love it? I'll move there. Should I not? I'll have an amazing holiday and return to the UK with my inspiration-well fully topped up.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?
If you want to throw me a high-five for my bravery, please toy with the idea of grabbing the eCourse or buying an ad for March - every penny counts! Alternatively, you could fling me a tip via Paypal using megan@charadestyle.com - guaranteed good karma - and more money in my lil'coin purse means more bloggy goodness. I hope you already now how supremely grateful I am for every reader-coin that comes my way, you truly set my life alight!

AND if you live in/nearby either NYC or SF and want to meet me / go dancing / let me sleep on your couch, I want to know about it! Let's be friends - like - fo'real. Drop an email in my inbox.

It's my main intention to use the time away to up my blogging ante and make miraculous plans for money-making and life-living on my return (when it will be late Spring/Summer - yay!) Naturally, you're invited on the journey. 

In summary, I think George had things pretty spot on:

“People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them.”
George Bernard Shaw

Ladies, gents, I implore you to get the ball rolling with your own big dreams; to choose your choice.

Questions? Cheers of encouragement? Got your own big dream to share? Comment!

25 comments:

Claire Rudkins said...

We need a link to your eBay sales!!

Kayti said...

Yes, link your eBay sales. Good luck on your adventure and should you come to Seattle, drop me a line! Hurrah for you for chasing your dreams.

Laura Jane said...

This is an incredibly brave and exciting moment! I wish you best of luck :) (and yes, link to eBay sales!)

Dressgirl said...

How brilliant Megan!! Extremely happy for you and look forward to hearing about all your wonderful adventures!! :)

Nurul Izz said...

Go, Megan, go!

I want to do the same too - I mean, to choose my choice. And I will. I will. Wish me luck!

And have a safe and amazing trip! :)

Vic said...

California is such an amazing place, I fell in love with it and left a little piece of my heart there. Your trip sounds amazing! Definitely link to your ebay sales, I have been jealous of your wardrobe for a very long time!

Sarah said...

you're so brave! i admire your courage, megan (:

Amber-Rose Thomas said...

Wow! Megan!
This is awesome! I'm so proud of you. You say it all as though it was an obvious choice but it's still so very brave of you! Well done for having the get up and go to do this for yourself. It's really fantastic that your job is giving you three months extended leave!

I'm going to sponsor you for March, and possibly April as well. I'll be emailing you soon about this. ;)

If you're coming back to Wales before you go, we are SO going to Aberystwyth for tea or something similar.

Yay, have an amazing adventure!

<3

Megan said...

**RE eBay sales: Got nothing up just now, I was linking to some bags via Facebook so join up there to keep in the loop! :) I will post here too, hopefully over the weekend!

Kayti - My parents might be moving to Seattle for several months towards the end of the year so I may take you up on the offer if I make a visit there!

Nurul - Keep us updated!

Amber - The job thing was pretty amazing, I didn't think it was even close to being an option but it just goes to prove that when you follow your heart the world works with you! A big YES to Aber :)

Lindsay said...

You're so brave - well done! and I hope you have an amazing time :)
I had a similar mojo loss last year so I mustered all my courage - dropped out of a university course I didn't enjoy, and flew to America for a few months.
It was the best thing I ever did.

I hope you find it as amazing as I did.

Kayleigh said...

Woo, go you! I am so envious, I hope to be following you and visiting America soon too.

Looking forward to reading about your travels on here! :)

Christina Marie said...

Awesome, good for you! (:
New York City is one of my favorite places ever. You're going to have a wonderful time!

xx

Kileen said...

Congratulations!!! One of my classmates at Uni told me about this organization called Servas that sets up homestays! http://www.usservas.org/ I'm not sure about all the details, but it's worth checking out I bet :)
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I can't find the words to tell you how freaking good this article made me feel, and how courageous and full of girl power I think you are! Have fun. :)

Megan said...

Lindsay - Brave girl! I hope so too :)

Kayleigh - Yes, do! Maybe I will inspire you with my pictures...

Christina Marie - Whenever the reality that I'm ACTUALLY GOING TO BE IN NEW YORK hits me I have heart palpitations. Good ones.

Kileen - Good resource, thanks for sharing. Although you have to pay/have an interview... It seems much the same as Couch Surfing, just a little more regulated. Food for thought though!

Anon - Aw shucks! I'm really glad - now go set your your own goal in motion!

Crystal said...

That is one of my favorite quotes and my life mantra.

I'm so amazed that you're taking charge and making this change. Best of luck with everything!

Anonymous said...

I've never commented on your blog before but I thought now was an appropriate moment. I'm in a similar position at the moment, but it wasn't until I read this post that I realised I really can do something about it - perhaps not America quite yet, but something amazing nonetheless. Thanks for giving me a huge push in the right direction. Your blog is a constant source of life-affirming, soul-reviving bliss. You have all my best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Megan that's amazing!! New York is totally awe inspiring you'll have a ball :) good luck !! xx

Rhi said...

Well, holy cow, and check you out! That is pretty amazing news, and I wish you all the best of luck in the Big Apple!! If you don't come back having felt your life is amazing with this brand new experience under your belt, well I'll eat my hat!

Claire Bonello said...

My mind is blown. You are inspiration, par excellence. Three cheers Megan! :D

Becca said...

Way to go, gorgeous!

I did something quite similar last autumn and it was incredible. I hope you have a wonderful time.

If you're ever in Toronto (Canada) you're more than welcome to come visit :)

Hélène said...

Words cannot describe the coincidence of this post. I've always looked at your blog as an ultimate source of inspiration, motivational quotes, fun posts and generally something that puts me in good spirits. But this is perfect... I have just spent the day vocalizing my fears and dread about what I'm doing at this moment with my life and why it doesn't feel good and then I read a post like this one. Big, thumbs up, best of luck out there and keep spreading the positive mojo :)

Annie said...

wow.. i have to say total congrats :-) have been in NYC for a little over a year and know you will totally love it! have fun!
xo,
annie
www.alongtheway-annie.blogspot.com

LauraCassidy said...

Megan! I missed this post because I was in NYC! :) You're going to have an amazing time! Can't wait to hear about your travels x

Jessica - Lovely Undergrad said...

Congrats! This is too exciting for words! I wish you all the best with your preparations and adventures in the US! I'm dying to do the exact same thing, but swap the US for England. ;)

I can't wait to hear about all of your experiences!

xoxo

Post a Comment