Tuesday, 16 December 2008

Student Portraits


Who? Claire of The View From Here

Where do you study?
Oxford Brookes as a post-graduate (law conversion course). I was at Oxford University as an undergraduate (physics).

Where are you from? Have you travelled far to study? If yes, what made you choose to do so? If not, why not?

My family live in Yorkshire, so I’ve travelled a fair way!! I was lucky enough to be accepted into The Queen’s College, Oxford, it’s not really something you can turn down!! I also wanted to be far enough so that I was making a fresh start and in a completely new place.

What made you choose the path of higher education?

I was good at school and sixth form college and I loved my subject at the time (that quickly changed but we’re good now!). It seemed like the right thing to do at the time.

What do you love most about the course you study?

Law is fascinating – it’s so applicable to everything. Any time I look at the news, there’s always something legal. And some of the laws we’ve got are not what you would expect with common sense at all.

What do you love most about the place where you study?
Oxford is such a beautiful city, but the thing I loved the most was having the opportunity to do so much. With a collegiate system, there are loads of clubs at a beginner’s level, which you don’t get so much at other places. SO I spent a lot of time doing “extracurriculars” (I hate that word!!).

What would you change about your higher education experience?
I don’t think I would change anything – if I did, I wouldn’t have had the experiences I was lucky enough to have. Although would making the laundry cheaper count??

What are your main interests outside studying? Do they tie in with your future career?

My main interest outside of studying is fashion! I’d actually love to get involved with fashion law at some point, it seems like it wouldn’t be taken that seriously but there’s a lot of intellectual property and contract and international law involved. I also love cooking and baking, but I doubt I’d be able to make anything of that in law!
Before this year, I used to be really really involved with the boat club (I coxed). There is no way I’d be able to make a career of it though!

What are your aspirations after University?

I want to be a successful lawyer!! Apart from that, I suppose my main aim is to be happy, whatever it takes.

Do you have any favourite student websites or blogs?

I really like Beyond Baked Beans, the student food website! I also love Cheapskate Chic, DaisyChainDreams and Flying Saucer.

What would your three top tips be for a fabulous lifestyle on a student budget?


1. ebay!! It’s a marvellous tool! I get addicted at certain times, then ignore it for months. It’s good for buying clothes/bags/dvds which should be more expensive but which are quality.

2. Read lots of fashion blogs, because they’re normal people who don’t have infinite amounts of money either!

3.
Make a lookbook – I cut out pictures from magazines, and put them into one place so that if I get uninspired (or rarely get a bit of money to spend!!), I’ve got somewhere to go for ways of mixing up what I wear.

Thanks Claire!

If you are a student who runs a blog or website, and you're interested in taking part in Student Portraits, then go ahead and email me at: mycharade@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment